[Land-speed] Cutting Chassis Tubing

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Cutting Chassis Tubing
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:10:54 -0700
List;

I'm relocating my chassis front bulkhead to get more legroom and it entails
cutting 2" x 2" tubing members as well as a welded- in sheet steel support
for the pedal assembly. I got tired of fooling around with a small air-
powered abrasive cut- off wheel and tried cutting the tubing with my Ryobi
reciprocating saw. With bi-metal 14 TPI blades it does a great job! It's far
faster than the abrasive wheel and doesn't throw sparks all over the shop.

I was skeptical that it was going to be too useful; my previous experience
had been with cutting steel with a saber saw and bimetal blades. That always
worked for a very short time because the stroke was so small that it wore
out a short section of the teeth that did the cutting. The longer stroke and
heavier blades of a reciprocating saw make a big difference.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along this experience for what it's worth.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ