[Land-speed] Some classification Questions (non turban,

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Some classification Questions (non turban,
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:56:49 -0800
Was just sitting here pondering my navel and and some odd thoughts came
to me. You know they are odd because they are mine, lol... All have to
do with car propulsion method classifications..

for instance, my car is a BFMS with a C motor (barely). How would the
classification go if I wanted to stick a small diesel in it? No, not
planning on it, just curious. Lets say the diesel was 2.5 L displacement
if that matters...

and, what if I wanted to convert it to electrical propulsion? Would that
be a ??? Example?  Assume the car weighs 2500 lbs if that matters.

similarly, steam?
I know Ford run the hydrogen car but it was really electrically
motivated. The hydrogen only provided the electricity so what class was
that car in. To my dim thinking that should have been some kind of
electrical designation.

I know there is a spot in the rules that say someting like  a
supplemental engine has to contribute to the propulsion of a car before
it is considered for cubic inch displacement...but wouldn't a gas or
diesel generator drivng electric propulsion be directly connected
especially if no batterys are involved anywhere?

Comments? Thoughts?

lets see if we can scare up a meaningful discussion...

oh one final odd one... and it has to do with elec drives. HP is hp when
it comes to over coming the aero issues and rolling resistance. So it it
takes 500 hp to go 200 mph wouldn't the elec motor also have to produce
that same amount of power? And if running off a generator in the car
wouldn't that also have to have very significant hp as well?

mayf