Re: [Land-speed] Which Automatic Transmission Fluid for Racing

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Which Automatic Transmission Fluid for Racing
From: <ifixmgs@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:51:23 -0400
Mobil1 has become  the trans juice of choice for most folks who tow big horse
trailers,  and full time  RV'ers (who are mostly anal about maintenance)  all
swear by the stuff.  I can't imagine any automatic  trans  getting a harder
workout than a loaded  bus-sized travel trailer  or a   maxed out combo
four-horse-sleeper trailer being hauled across the desert or over the the
mountains, or in stop and go traffic in hill country on a 110* day.

I use Mobil 1 ATF (and oil)  in my  '90 Suburban which hauls a portly  28 foot
steel dual axle horse trailer.   We got a  "whopping"  20%  difference in fuel
mileage (9 mpg  all the way to 11 mpg... ). But it definitely shifts smoother
and does a far better job transferring heat out of the trans and releasing it
at the cooler.  I've only changed the filter and fluid once, after about 50k
miles, and there was far less pixie dust in the pan than there was at 30k when
I switched to Mobil.

The only application I know of  where   synthetic ATF has been  problematic is
in  T-5 gearboxes (possibly others) .  I used a quart of B&M Trick Shift
(unaware that it was synthetic) in my drag car.   After suffering missed
shifts, and realizing the problem,  we tried a drain and refill but wound up
taking the trans apart, rinsing it out with solvent and switching to petrol
based before the problem completely went away. Synthetic must be very slippery
compared to conventional ATF.

My diff lube of choice  is SWEPCO 201  synthetic  racing diff lube - I won a 22
gallon drum of the stuff in 2001 at an NMRA event.  It's pretty pricey -  about
$28 a gallon  then,  and  $40 now, but I've come to swear by it.  I used it in
a screaming- loud Frankland quick change in a neighbor's hot rod  that had worn
bearings and  wobbly  gear shafts, and it has remained eerily quiet.   It also
silenced an early MGB banjo rear that had  bearing rust-damage from having been
submerged in water without being properly drained and cleaned out.   My
original plan was just to use it to get the car driveable, but after 5 years,
it's still quiet even at 70 mph.

Mark C
at the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp