[Land-speed] high speed engines/tight clearances

To: <neil@dbelltech.com>, <jgmagoo@comcast.net>, "'land-speed-digest'"
Subject: [Land-speed] high speed engines/tight clearances
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:25:10 -0700
Neil -- I think you're on to something there.  Adding silicon to aluminum
alloys reduces their temperature coefficient of expansion (CTE).  Raw
aluminum is about 13 millionths of an inch per inch per degree Farenheit
(F).  Common 356 casting alloy is 11.7 millionths.  Tuning block and piston
alloys to the right CTE just requires some patience on the part of
metallurgists and the foundry crew.
We've got the measuring and machining capability to hold 25 millionths
tolerances on 2" to 3" diameter bores (not cheap).  I can see where holding
piston to bore clearances tight enough to control oil and hold a good
pressure film to prevent high friction metal to metal contact would allow us
to go with only one and maybe even no compression ring.  Take a bit of
expensive engineering effort; including temperature control in the operating
engine; but that's just part of the F1 game (and no doubt a source of pride
in western EU engineering cultures).
Ed