[Land-speed] Shoestring Speedtiming

To: Land-speed@Autox.team.net (Landspeed)
Subject: [Land-speed] Shoestring Speedtiming
From: bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 11:55:12 +0000
After months of pursuit without being knocked out of the box, we, (Bwana and
I), are getting closer to being able to stage LSR time trials at the former
Loring AFB in northern Maine this summer.
It's a great venue at almost 14,000' by 300' of asphalt at 750' above sea
level. Caribou, Maine is nearby so it's not without amenities, and Interstate
95 is an excellent road getting there.
There is a problem of course, inasmuch as there's hardly any racers or racecars
in this part of the world.
"If you build it, they will come". We'll see.
So we're on a budget with a capital B. A particular variable cost is timing
equipment rental. At this point getting a high quality system might not be the
best way to spend money. You list guys we'd bet might be able to come up with a
system that while not super accurate, might work fine to give the three guys
that showed up an idea how fast they just went.
Not above soldering something together on a breadboard, etc..
Thanks alot. The Bobbys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loring_Air_Force_Base