Re: [Land-speed] Fw: Welding info

To: "Chris Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>, "Land speed list"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Fw: Welding info
From: "John Szalay" <jpszalay01@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:34:49 -0500
 The problem we have is getting
>> information about what Filler Wire these guys in the States are using
>> and (if any) special blend of Argon. The best Filler wire we have
>> been able to get here is a generic type PZ6500 with 3 1/2% nickel
>> mix. While this produces a reasonable looking Cap...it still falls
>> somewhat short of what those American Race Car Chassis builders are
>> producing. Is there any way you could find out for me just what it is
>> that they use when welding 4130 Chromemoly tube. Cheers Warrick
>>
>> Warrick and Donna Smith

  When I was TIG welding any of the nickel blends, I had a mixture of
95/5   Argon Hydrogen     95% Argon and  5% Hydrogen blended by the
welding gas supplier in one tank.  makes for a very  pretty  smooth weld,
HOWEVER  we never had any x-ray or structural testing done of the resulting
welds.  so I would recommend those be done considering the parts you stated
were being worked.

Also kept the post-flow gas set for a long time to allow the weld to cool
and be protected
by the cover gas.   most folks keep postflow short to economize on gas
costs, but I liked
to keep the weld area protected..

Can,t remember the filler rod  off hand, but will see if I can find the
catalog..

NOTE:
NEVER try to blend the gases yourself or use separate Argon and Hydrogen
tanks..
not worth the risk..  Our gas supplier came through fine,.after we explained
what we were
after..