[Land-speed] Obscure engines

To: LAND SPEED LIST <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Obscure engines
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:34:18 -0700
If you want to try your luck on some more obscure engines just go
here:  <http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/Engines.shtml>

They do identify the engines for you but there are several one of a
kind engines in their collection that are just plain interesting to see.

The Museum of American Speed - Speedway Motors museum in Lincoln, NE
has a large and interesting collection of stand alone engine displays

There's 4 and 6 cylinder engines in this collection and there are V8
and V 16 engines here too but you can spend lots of time just enjoying
the different engines on display.
When a block is painted white it is a stock block showing aftermarket
heads and accessories.

I've been fortunate to have some freedom to just look around at the
museum and also go on several guided tours.  Each docent does his or
her thing so you get different
emphasis from each one.  When Speedy Bill does a tour you can learn
stuff the other docents have no idea about and I've been on four tours
Bill conducted.  Even those are
different depending on the visitors involved.  The Lincoln Continental
Owners Club tour was far different from the one the five USAC guys
got.  They told Bill stuff about
his engines even he didn't know.  I just wished I knew more about the
individuals, the cars and races they were experts on.