[Land-speed] Water Injection....

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Water Injection....
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:15:40 -0800
Keith Said..

Just curious... anyone ever actually run water injection successfully? what
where the results... would you mess with it again?  and why do you think it
worked...

Keith"

And Dave said..

"I would like to see a dyno sheet optimzed for with it and without with
an apropriate fuel in both cases. In most cases why you think it worked
is an equally interesting conversation as in 'think it worked'! Over the
years I have found most racers rationalize why something works in direct
proportion to the amount of time and money spent on 'the plan'.... As an
aside many engines at Bonneville I have seen run are so pig rich that
adding water to cool them down is almost funny at times. "

This is absolutley a very good set of thoughts and questions. And who
better to answer than the two above? How about this? How about Dave
doing the optimizing on an engine or chassis dyno with Keith supplying
the hardware?  I would like to see a set of test conditions where the
three power adder types, ie, rootes, centrifugal, and turbo are run to
see the effects of water injection. Two conditions of WI could be used:
without methanol injection and with. To keep it simple, I would use some
previously optimized mule motor for all tests. Same with the engine
management system. Just swap  out the top end components to suit the
various power adders then optimize each with and without the WI
configurations.To keep from clouding the issue, no other charge air
cooling would be used: ie no intercoolers of any kind. Just WI.  I see
about 36 dyno pulls for the various configurations.  Take the test data
and then share it all with everyone and let the reader decide for himself.

If I had name stature and recognition anywhere I would ask both Hot Rod
Mag and Horsepower TV folks to help on this.  And I suspect that  some
of the hardware suppliers would also get involved.  The Blower Shop or
BDS for a roots blower, Paxton maybe for the centrifugal blower and
maybe Turbonetics for the turbo systems. Get FAST or AEM to do the
engine management. Snow Performance for the  Water/Methanol  Injection.

Me? I am in the process of using WI on my dinky car. Why? Well, I know
what power levels I need to reach my one and only goal are and it is
modest. Can be done fairly easily with money, lol. But I will use WI in
a quest for reliability.  I simply cannot afford to esentially purchase
a new motor every August or September. So anything that can help the
motor be reliable is a real boon to me. Water and methanol in the
combustion chamber change the chemistry of the combustion to make it
cooler. Cooler is of some benefit I think.

If needed I would donate or contribute to the effort. How about the rest
of you?

mayf