[Land-speed] Battery info

To: Landspeed <Land-speed@Autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Battery info
From: bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:11:33 +0000 (UTC)
I had a problem with a $240 Optima battery, and the more I research what maybe
went wrong and what the solution might be, the less inclined I am to replace
the battery with the same type. Not only are there alot of "don'ts" involved
with the maintainance of the things, the manufacturer doesn't provide timely
support when things go wrong, possibly because the batteries are problematic.
It appears that the 30 amp generator in the car could croak a low charged
Optima that can only accept a 10 amp charge.
This particular battery has been installed on it's side, hung off the inside of
a 32 Ford frame, so it's replacement has to mount on it's side, where it's
width is only about 5 inches. This limits my options. Also, the car won't see
regular service, so it may need a charge before I take the car out, and it
would be good if the charge could be applied quickly.
I think what I need is "dry" Odyssey battery, a puny one in the Summit catalog
would fit, and has 680 amps. The car doesn't need alot of cranking power.
Does anyone have any ideas or experiance with this? Thanks, BJ in Beantown,
with the Volvo Ocean boats