Re: [Land-speed] Racing Venues...

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Racing Venues...
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 08:32:47 -0700
Makes some sense.  Times are different now.  One can visualize how after 911
the base security operation at Edwards was overwhelmed with work to deal
with enhanced security requirements and somewhere up the chain of command
they were told that it was OK to eliminate the workload attendant to the
SCTA meet.  Typically the word comes down from the public affairs officer
couched in as simple and credible words as possible.
That was 7 years ago and this is now.  Most of the hysteria has died down,
for better or for worse.
On the other hand the SCTA and all it's volunteers have their plates pretty
full with El Mirage and Bonneville operations and may not be real hot on
gearing up for a third venue.  I suspect the Air Force would need a lot more
convincing if another presumably new and unexperienced organization were to
propose LSR meets at Edwards.
Personally I didn't like Muroc dry lake.  The dust there makes the stuff at
El Mirage look like coarse gravel.
Ed Weldon