[Land-speed] Towing A Race Car

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Towing A Race Car
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
I go along with that.  A weight distribution - anti-sway hitch of some kind
would be essential.  Electric trailer brakes are also an absolute necessity.
You'll also need good heavy springs - boosters on the back and the
transmission cooler (don't get one of the cheapies - spend a couple extra
bucks for a good one).

Once you get set up, experiment with the race car on the trailer in different
positions.  i've found that moving the car a few inches back or forth can make
a world of difference.  I have one set of marks on the trailer for a "basic
load" of fifteen gallons of race fuel and two small jacks; and a different set
of marks if I'm carrying 25 gallons of race fuel and the big floor jack.

You will have to plan on taking your time.  You're giving up some wheelbase by
using a car instead of a truck.  Several years ago, I towed my race car with a
Dodge Ramcharger  - - not fun!

DickJ
In East Texas