[Land-speed] Inertia Activated Fuel Cut Off Swiches

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Inertia Activated Fuel Cut Off Swiches
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:54:40 -0700
Always the one to try and be safe, I see in the 2009 rule book that
inertial switches for fuel cut off are going to be required for 2010. So
I purchased one from Pegasus racing thinking that they sell stuff used
by the formula ford cars and SCCA cars as well. Well it came yesterday.
Kinda spendy for such a small part. However, I am surprised at just how
easy it is to trigger. If I have it in my hand and just briskly wave
that hand around, it will trigger.  AN dof course, it triggers when I
hold it with one hand and bump with the other.  I am really thinking
that this particular unit may trigger in just a simple spin or near
spin.  Of course I guess I could mount it right on the CG and just a
rotation of the unit woudl occur. The insructions for sure say not to
mount it on a panel which can vibrate as that will trigger it.

My questions are manifold. Are there going to be, if anyone knows, any
kind of spec for these items? I would think that someting akin to an SFI
spec is needed here. If a simple piece of foam requires it, then
someting that might prevent a large fire should also need a spec as
well. We have approved fire extinguishers why wouldn't this also need
some kind of at least generic approval.

Next question, for you folk that have these already installed. How much
of a wiggle or impact did it or does it take to trigger yours? It may
simply be that it is working fine and that I can move it fast and hard
enough to trigger.

I have sent the company an email asking what kind of g levels or just
motion  it would take to trigger it under normal or not normal
circumstances. When I get the answer, I'll post it.

Yes, I know that I could have gone to the junk yard and bought one. So
exclude any comments about that please. As the same questions
apply...what are the trigger levels....

comments?

mayf