Re: [Land-speed] British steam car

To: John Burk <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] British steam car
From: Malcolm Pittwood <mbp01@sky.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:50:53 +0100
The burner design on the British Steam Car is one where the flame length is
very short - I am trying to recall a design talk from Glynne Bowsher some
years ago - at perhaps no more than an inch (25mm in Europe).  The 'burner'
is more like a tile of intense flames rather than the long single flame of a
hot air balloon burner.  Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG) gives the opportunity
to create these short intense flames because of the velocity of combustion.

There are probably other ways to generate the steam needed but another
vehicle shape would arise in the design process.  So if the record falls as
we expect after Speedweek, perhaps an American team will try to recapture it
using Propane as the fuel?

Malcolm UK .