[Land-speed] Electrolysis Issues...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Electrolysis Issues...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:51:36 -0700
Well, it is Miller time here at the Mayfield Ranch and compound in
Pahrump. However, I have forgone the MIller is lieu of a double gin
martini on the rocks, stirred not shaken with a plethora of pimento
stuffed olives, the dinky size.  I have been cleanining parts all day
long, as yesterday I removed the motor from the worlds fastest sunbeam
(wannabe) in order to install a cutom grind turbo cam and solid roller
lifters. As I was cleaning the heads today, I find that around some of
the water ports in the head I see signs of electrolysis. My heads are
aluminum and the block is cast iron but in between is a solid copper
head gasket.  That seems to me to make a fine battery of sorts. What
have you folk done to remediate the electrolysis problem?  Is putting a
sacrificial zinc bar in the coolant water a solution? What others are
there? I use distilled water per the head makers instructions and also
Red Line water wetter. Nothing else. Is there a product that will
prevent corrosion that comes in a bottle or can?

Thoughts? Comments?

many thanks in advance,

mayf