Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

To: 23weldon <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph
From: Malcolm Pittwood <mbp01@sky.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:01:17 +0100
Speed is a calculated figure as we all know and is a simple formula of a
distance divided by time.  Express it in miles per hour, feet per second,
kilometres per hour, furlongs per day, whatever you want..

The distance once measured is a fixed length.

The only variable to be measured is the time taken from the start of the
measured distance to the end of that distance.  For most governing bodies
the timing equipment has to be initiated by the passage of the vehicle
through a beam.
The FIA demand two runs within one hour.  "The calcualtion of the average
speed retained for the establishment of the record will be calculated on the
basis of the average of times registered on consecutive runs in opposite
directions".  All to a timed accuracy of 1/1000th of a second and then
expressed to 1/1000th of a mph or kilo per hour.

After dealing with about 45 days on the desert and a faster kilo record
speed the British Steam Car team wisely came away with their record goals
met and car and drivers intact.

Malcolm
.