Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

To: MEIERLE Mike <Mike.Meierle@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:17:03 -0400
On Sep 2, 2009, at 8:41 AM, MEIERLE Mike wrote:

> Basic "Rule of Thumb" in the Telecom industry is information travels 1
> foot per nanosecond. We have more accurate and complex equations
> when it
> comes to thruput and buffering but there are a lot of applications
> that
> have very strict timing requirements, and ways to measure it.
>
> Mike Meierle
> #847 F/BMMP
> SCTA-BNI/Gear Grinders/Sidewinders/ECTA
> ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder

I'm still wondering what's wrong with the idea of having a timing
system that is comprised of discrete sensors that receive a common
clock signal -- and then transmit not only a sensor closure and the
time at which the event happened.  Since all sensors would be using
the same clock, continuously synched together, there wouldn't be any
delays for wire length of transmission lag.  Mike, you've said this
won't work.  Why don't I agree -- what's wrong with the concept?

Jon