Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

To: dan warner <dwarner230@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:44:29 -0400
On Sep 2, 2009, at 10:14 PM, dan warner wrote:

> So, what does everyone who is dissatisfied with current timing
> system propose to do with previous records? Toss 'em because the
> older methods were not as accurate as the current or future methods?
>
> I noticed no one has claimed to not have accepted a record because
> they are didsatisfied with the recording methods currently in use.
> One thing about the timing as now used is that it is consistant for
> everyone involved. I also noticed that there are no complaints from
> the people who string, rewind and service the wire.I would think
> that they would be the first on the wireless bandwagon.
>
> I helped James Rice setup the course for the steam car. We were
> within 1/4" across the mile and kilo measured by length and width
> and cross measured. If I remember James' comment about FIA
> requirements, the mile/kilo needs be only 4 or 6" accurate. The FIM
> on the other hand requires something like .0010" accuracy. Has
> anyone checked the certificate of accuracy at the Bub meet?
>
> DW

Dan --

I hope you're not including me in the group of folks "...dissatisfied
with current timing system...".  There is absolutely no way that I
have ever either stated - or even implied any dissatisfaction with the
current system.  And as for tossing old records when a new measuring
system arrives on the technological scene -- sure, toss out the old
ones, just like has evidently been done each time there has been any
advance in measurements.  It was done that way in the past, I presume,
if you suggest (by implication)
  that it be done again.

Unless, that is, you go from my words to a conclusion that because I
suggest trying to design a different system - which might have less
errors inherent -- is an expression of dissatisfaction.  I can't stop
you from interpreting what I say - as you choose to so do rather than
as what I mean.

I won't get into a discussion about the relative accuracy of surveying
methods -- I'm not trained in that field and can't offer any real
input.  I have questions -- but will ask a surveyor, not this board.

Deep enough for Thursday morning.  Have another cup of coffee and sit
back and enjoy the day.

Jon