Re: [Land-speed] King Pin Bearings

To: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] King Pin Bearings
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pahrump.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:42:43 -0800
No problems since I fixed the scrub radius. The car is solid as
always and the steering is now easy. Too much scrub radius in the
past has put a significant load on the steering system that held the
car still on the run. In the event of a blowout on the front, the
driver would have likely lost control of the car when all the weight
was concentrated on the remaining tire.

What I'm trying to fix now is inaccurate alignment....or at least
unknown alignment. With the inline system I am not able, so far, to
set the "toe in" accurately. I have used lasers and straight edges
and when I get done setting it, I run the car back and forth on the
shop floor and the wheels seem to flop and get out of alignment. This
is because there is no opposing forces on a tie rod to keep
everything in proper alignment since there is no conventional tie
rod......I guess. There is considerable caster so slop is magnified.

So I have simply sighted them in when the car is moving "forward" and
it seems to work. Tire wear is non existent so I think that it is OK.
Still looking for something better. The Speedway Motors kit should do
it or at least help, I hope.

Skip