[Land-speed] Wind Rivers

To: LAND SPEED LIST <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Wind Rivers
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:25:53 -0600
Quoting Dockery:

    Our audacious winter attempt was the hardest, most unenjoyable trip
I have ever
    taken in the mountains.

That pretty much sums it up.  And when he says "minimal food" that is
somewhat
understated.  We left a big cache of food at the base of Hooker,
thinking it would
take us 3 - 4 days to get back, not 7.  A few bullion cubes and some
Starburst
candies were not really enough to support the calories we needed to get
out alive,
but we managed.  Maybe I'll talk about the Rock Springs McDonalds in another
message.  And the Safeway across the street.  And of course the back of
chips
in the trailer.

This is not the appropriate venue for detailed discussion, but I will
say that  the
morning of April 1st, 1977, sitting on some ice cold, snow glazed rock
somewhere
on the east side of the Wind Rivers, watching the sun come up through
the wispy
clouds in a burning blaze of crimson glory and *knowing* then and there that
we would, somehow, after all, make it out alive is a time I will never
forget.

"The dawn in russet mantle clad climbs yon eastward hills"

Taken from a play called Hamlet, by, uh, what was his name again?

mjb.
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive