Re: [Land-speed] Cam Belt-Drives

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Cam Belt-Drives
From: NT788@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:34:54 +0000 (UTC)
the little belt drive on my cheap rockwell table saw has held up for years and
years under my abuse!
i don't have one on my trailer jack

Sorry, I am not buying it. B Why, you may ask? Well, he provides
absolutley no data, no methodology to test B or anything other than trust
me. Just because he says B it is so. B Well, he has to show me the math
and physics involved. B He talks of no torsional inputs from the prop,
but looking at his cowling arrangement shows me that's baloney. Every
time a blade half goes from the horizintal and passing below the
radiator it has a torsioan; input that is different that the rest of the
propeller arc. B And teh belt is way more than just a coupling stiffness
mechanism. How's that? well the teeth on the belt are teh shock
absorbers which give to reduce the harmonics. B  It is kind of like a
rubber torsional coupling for a boat or anything that needs drive shaft
shock absorbing, just on a smaller basis but more of them. B In teh case
of a ICE th eidea is to reduce crank harmonics and preven them from
getting into the cam causing valve train B errors. Not to mention spark
timing issues. So I am still on board with cam drive belt systems. Just
wish I could afford one, lol...

But I like his motor! That is the one on my Turbo Sprint! A screaming
993 cc of turbo terror......maybe......

mayf

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/land-speed/drmayf@mayfco.com