[Land-speed] Chassis Dyno Operations

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Chassis Dyno Operations
From: "Kirkwood" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:31:35 -0700
So many questions before you had your coffee! LOL

Many years ago, on an early Go Power dyno, it would not hold the load due to
torque multiplication at lower RPM and would cavitate. We had to use direct
drive just to apply load. Don't know the nature of your dyno but could the
braking mechanism efficiency be the reason?

If high gear is more efficient because it is DIRECT drive (i.e., torque is
not transferred through a cluster shaft) then overdrive would be less
efficient for the same reason.
From: drmayf drmayf@mayfco.com
More fun dumb questions from me.  Why do we use high gear during a chassis
dyno pull?  The dyno does not know what gear the car is in, does it?  Is
there
a general limit on the acceleration rate of the rollers?  If high gear (1:1
in
the gear box) is better than a lower gear, then would overdrive be better
that
the 1:1 gear?  Is there some final drive ratio that is best?
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums