[Land-speed] A Left Handed Rules Question...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] A Left Handed Rules Question...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:21:35 -0700
Left handed in that  it kinda comes out of nowhere for me.  Back "when"
the only cars that were fast were generally those designed and put
together for and by hot rodders.  Most street vehicles were limited to
speeds maybe a few miles per hour over a hundred. Since those vehicles,
hot rods,  were put together by racers using all sorts of parts and
pieces, safety rules were required. But, what about today?  It is not
difficult to go out and purchase a car that can exceed 200 mph right off
the showroom floor.  Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, lots of foreign cars
(Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari, etc) seem to be able to do high speeds with
ease.   So, because these are in fact production cars, does it make
sense to apply the older rules to newer cars?  Ie, would it really be
necessary to require a full cage for a Bugatti?  Or what about a SFI 20
fire suit for a factory blown Mustang? If the designers of such cars
consider them safe enough to be driven , albeit slower,  on public
streets, why wouldn't a lone car on the wide open salt be acceptable?  I
know these cars are out there, so why not relax the rules for super
cars?  It seems to me that if a venue were available for the owners of
those cars to "test" their cars, maybe the streets would be safer,
lol.   It would be necesssary to assure that cars are as factory
assembled though.

comments?

and, no, I do not thave one nor am I planning on buying one.. I am the
opposite of having more money than good sense, lol, more sense than
money ( a tricky way of saying I don't have the cash to waste)

mayf
Land-speed@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive