Re: [Land-speed] Ford Flathead

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Ford Flathead
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:59:13 -0800
Hmmm, some how I missed the front end of this annual discussion.  I was
part of it once just for fun. Well, here I am again... Closer
examination of the all cap sentence leads me to ask a series of
questions.  The first is does it really mean Ford/Mercury *_passenger
cars_*? Would that eliminate any flathead that was originally installed
in say, a panel truck? Or a pickup? How about a heavier truck? Or
ambulance?  How would the original pedigree be determined for a v8 motor
installed in a non passenger car but still a FOMOCO product? Say a
harvester of some sort?   Or boat? Is there a list of casting numbers
that delineate the use of the motor?

As to the amnesty, isn't that what amnesty does? Goes around the rules
to permit an obvious practice to be essentially pardoned?  I know the
French castings are a better design that the oldies so there is that to
be considered.  Say, if one was found during a post record run, would it
be confiscated and destroyed?  What is the punishment for violating the
rules? Banishment from the salt or dirt?

No, I am not planning on a flathead. Just an interesting thread that
seems to crop up every year.

mayf