Re: [Land-speed] V-8 Flathead big blocks

To: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] V-8 Flathead big blocks
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:03:16 -0800
Beats me.  My hat's off to anyone who can get more horsepower out of a
Flathead Cad block than an equivalent class GMC 6.
Maybe the "answer" is a specially machined hemi overhead conversion for the
a 325 inch Cad. I know little about these blocks so whether a suitable head
could be machined without an aluminum casting to start with is a mystery to
me.  Start talking patterns and castings and the project starts to look
pricey even with lost foam pattern construction. On the other hand there are
a lot of idle CNC machining centers these days; so who knows?
Or maybe the softness exists in the XXO category as a 375" flathead.  Will
50 cubic inches make up for the need to run the Cad flathead with valves in
the block against an all out 12 port head?
For a flathead "big block" in the XO category (325" limit) cooling could be
a problem in the blown or fuel categories; but in unblown gas there is some
precedent  to show that the potential is there for well designed flathead
breathing to exceed what modified cast iron stock heads have so far been
shown to deliver.
 IMHO the superiority of a flathead Cad or Lincoln given the benefit of the
latest ideas in breathing will not be a lasting thing.  I don't think it
will take long for the guys committed to GMC sixes to start getting creative
with what can be done with one of those cast iron heads.  For long they have
been able to fall back on aftermarket specialty heads to get the horsepower;
so I think that little corner of engine development has been ignored by
most.
Note here (and studying the 2010 rulebook) that with a couple of exceptions
the XO roadster records look pretty soft until you get up into the 200 mph
area as well as the 6d. modified category.  Not so the XO Vintage Coupe
category where there have been some very serious competitors in recent
years.  ............Ed Weldon