Re: [Land-speed] Laminar Flow & Reverse Laminar Flow>From>JG Magoo

To: <jgmagoo@comcast.net>, "'land-speed-digest'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Laminar Flow & Reverse Laminar Flow>From>JG Magoo
From: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:58:39 -0400
An interesting experiment---but I remember a neater one when Don Drawbaugh,
a NERVA mathematician came to our Electrical Space Propulsion Lab to do a
similitude experiment demonstrating how a gaseous core nuclear rocket engine
would work.

Don made a flattened cylindrical rocket chamber and an attached nozzle out
of clear plexiglass and used water to simulate gaseous hydrogen. He then
injected food coloring (representing gaseous fissile material) into the
central core of the swirling water. The glob of food coloring stayed firmly
in place, no mixing, no tendrils at all, and none of the food coloring
leaked out thru the nozzle.

Even old Burridge Jennings was impressed.

Always liked similitude analyses and experiments.

Lance