[Land-speed] Sleeving a motor.. for the stay at home racer motor

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Sleeving a motor.. for the stay at home racer motor
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:04:02 -0700
Any number of times people have told me to sleeve my motor down to a
size that would permit it to be within the D class displacement
constraints.  My current motor is a ford 5.0 with a standard 0.030 over
bore.  Seems like that would be an acceptable size, but just isn't so!
That bore puts the motor at 3067.133 cubic inches displacement. Just a
measly 0.134 cubic inches out of class.  Almost as if i was supposed to
be that way, lol.. but who would do such a thing...
In any case I sat here and wondered about sleeving two cylinders, one on
each bank.  That made me think I don't know squat about sleeving and the
effects. So, would it be better to do one on each side and on teh same
crank throw or on different crank throws still on opposite sides. One in
front one in back? In the middle of the crank?  How would these
positions affect crank harmonics?  What about the balance aspect of it.
Seems that if on a different throw then balance would be unsymetrical.

No, not planning on doing this but it is a curiousity to me, something I
would like to hear thoughts about.  Or is it, in reality, picking fly
poop out of the pepper and makes no difference at all.

On a separate note, I need some 4.03 diameter ford 289 pistons.
Forged... gota get a motor together for the orange car.

mayf

--
drmayf