[Land-speed] dumb Question # 4856 - Wrist pins

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] dumb Question # 4856 - Wrist pins
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:35:21 -0800
Ford uses a wrist pin diameter of 0.912 inches for the little end of the
rod/piston.  GM has a wrist pin diameter of 0.927 inches. I see a number
of  Ford products whether pistons or  rods offered with the option of
using the GM wrist pin diameter.  I don't know if the Ford pin diameter
is offered as an option for GM stuff though. Don't care, lol...

What's up with that?  Is the GM pin lighter even though it is larger in
diameter? Stronger for sure but is that the reason?

So, the dumb question is:  "why switch from 0.912 to 0.927 inch diameter
wrist pins?

Keep it technical please...

mayf

--