Re: [Land-speed] Oil and Filter Recommendations...

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@cal.net>, "ed@vetteracing.com" <ed@vetteracing.com>, List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Oil and Filter Recommendations...
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 06:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
Mayf,
A few years back I bought a "test mule" Buick V6 from a petroleum lab in
San Antonio.  They tested various oils to determine which gave best
performance.  I asked which ones were best and the guy told me he couldn't
discuss it because of contractual confidentiality agreements.  After we got
the motor loaded, as I was closing the window on my truck, I pointed to the
muscle car in the parking lot and he said it was his.  I asked what oil he
used.  At the very last instant he quietly said: "Mobile One".  That's the
only oil I've used since.
Dick J
In East Texas
>________________________________
Monday, July 29, 2013 11:47 PM
>Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Oil and Filter
Recommendations...

>The only Mobile 1 50 weight racing oil I know of is
a 0W-50. It will

8:55 PM, Ed Van Scoy wrote:
>> Rick,
>> When I was campaigning a road racer I
ran 50 wt oil mainly because of the
>> sustained heat that the engine had to
endure. If heat is a problem with a
>> specific turbo application I couldn't
agree more with you, but at LSR events I
>> generally worry more about getting
oil up to operating temps.....In my N/A
>> engine, I never see water temps
above 210 (I try to leave the line at 160 deg
>> at least) at the end of 5
miles , but with a 12 qt dry sump, the oil temps are
>> not even close to
engine temps. 50 wt oil would need to be pumped with a
>> concrete pump at the
winter meets ( I use a roots-style oil pump instead of
>> the typical Aviad).
But what I'm trying to say is oil protects best at
>> operating
temperature..... Would like to hear your take on typical lakes cold
>> starts
from the start line and viscosity.