[Land-speed] Dumb Assed Question 5,171... Canopies...

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net> engine=2.50.10432:5.10.8794,1.0.431,0.0.0000 definitions=2013-09-21_02:2013-09-20,2013-09-21,1970-01-01 signatures=0 spamscore=0 suspectscore=0 phishscore=0 adultscore=0 bulkscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=7.0.1-1305240000 definitions=main-1309210133
Subject: [Land-speed] Dumb Assed Question 5,171... Canopies...
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:49:08 -0700
Up front: I am not seeking rule changes! What I would like however, is
some clarifications regarding canopies.  My  rule book references are
paragraphs:
2.M,  3.B.1 fig 3 and 4A, 3.E, and 3.U.

Ok, my first clarification question is from 2.M, first sentence:
"Canopies *ENCLOSING the driver*..." (my emphasis).... What does
enclosing the driver mean to the rules makers? How much of the driver?
Does that include the roll cage under which the driver resides?  What
defines what a canopy is and how it can be measured? When I think of
enclosing the drive4r, I think of a fighter jet canopy. It goes
completely over the pilot.

Next refer to fig 3.B fig 3 and 4.A. If a wind screen came back as far
as the roll cage, but did not fasten to the cage itself and maybe even
have a gap between the two would that be considered a canopy?  Why? It
does not *enclose* the driver, does it?

And almost to the last, hatches...closed cars may have hatches for the
driver to egress through.  Pretty sure that no OEM car ever had a hatch
for escape or egress so they are add ons for driver safety. So, can a
wind screen that comes back to the front bar in the roadster type roll
cage have a latch in device to release the wind screen for the same
reason as a hatch, driver safety on egress?

Ok, last thought...or lack of it maybe according to some who will
respond, lol... If a wind screen comes back to the first roll bar, does
it have to be open to the sky? If so, what defines that?

Nope, again, not  lobbying for any kind of rule change just some one in
the know in the club to explain the hows and why of the rules so I don't
get waded up in my jockey shorts if I should decide to do something like
this in the future...

--
drmayf