Re: [Land-speed] Dry Sump Tank Questions...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>, monte <mvwolfe@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Dry Sump Tank Questions...
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:35:28 -0700
Ok, getting some sensible answers! And so far nobody has called me DS...
A number of the responders have indicated that the round tank with
tangential return helps to de-air the oil as it returns.  That brings up
a whole set of other questions: one is just how much oil actually flows
at full boogie?  Another is how much oil is bypassed in the pump because
the pump exceeds the pressure setting as rpm increases?  Excess pressure
has to be circulated inside the pump when pressure exceeds set point on
the regulator, no other place for the excess oil to go. And that heats
the oil.. And that excess pumping around and around  takes hp.  I think
that's the reason that the NASCAR oil pressure regulator I have was
used. The excess oil is simply dumped back into the pan and eliminates
excess pumping and heating.  Has anyone actually see how much oil is
returned during a full rpm run? I know it has to be the same amount that
the pump takes in but how much is that?  Anyone have dry sump pump data
showing the flow vs rpm vs pressure? Pressure is needed because the
amount of oil pumped through the motor has restrictions so the flow is
way less than free flow... One fo the reasons I ask about flow is with
that info I can determine the actual flow velocity of the return oil.  I
suspect it is way lower that anyone suspects.

comments?

larry

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.