Re: [Land-speed] Rear Axle Question

To: <NT788@comcast.net>, "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Rear Axle Question
From: "23weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:25:09 -0800 s=q20140121; t=1415295360; bh=AIyzpfsvPlaOFJR7pUBl2FF+8h25vnEtCW/NdH8AQS4=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=obHwlFZ2b+mrF5cUlQH8Oi7/0OjpBkn+ZTB60Uhrq2pHFjLOvqrU/E4VP9wUYzVfk dZLHRV5CbyFQHhF9BOHoIrSH4Xz3SIYEl6vnAgqEfu4cLZ/q7+QJfs8+brUMUvQdAe uUbfoZlhqAvn44SXf2d7uW8Qlp/ekmq/RutX+ZGuVxwLqLGW0gNyYa9fXhe/kUzgeW w/4gUy6q9sOz3PP5tXBnFj8DSaZTFPjYr8spz2GymFx2Y78mk62qD9C+OoiEEhDbnD rorIs8gzQkImrZNuLGBnyMUxDGnYJ6UmWAbIfeaK6TQMn6DSU56YpE1QM0vf/sqNef EexOMFqOhukyQ==
Cc: land-speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>, Kirkwood <saltfever@comcast.net>
A dream wheel is a good tool if you still have one and are used to it.  Far
as I know they are no longer sold.   We could use something simpler than my
spreadsheet that can run on a tablet or a smart phone app. Still I think
I'll set up a continuing search on eBay.  I never had one.  (yeah, yeah....
young engineer's arrogance....what do I need a thing like that for?....I've
got my slide rule hanging off my belt like a misplaced reproductive organ.)

25 years ago when we ran Doug King's Golddigger we had a greasy stack of
Lotus 123 spreadsheet printouts we referred to pick QC gears. They were
printed on a dot matrix printer driven by a Heathkit PC I built myself.5
years previous.  Lessons in soldering.  Ancient history.

I remember back in my time as a newly minted engineer (1960s) when all we
had were slide rules (a dream wheel is a specialized circular slide wheel)
the engineering journals often published graphic calculators to solve
specific problems. I can't recall the generic name they had for those
things.  The way they worked they had vertical specially scaled lines with
number graduations.  Each line was for a variable like(in our case) tire
diameter, circumference, rpm, gear ratio, etc    Spaced in between were
"turning" lines that represented intermediate steps, i.e., a single
arithmetic calculation.  A perfect app for a tablet would be something like
this that worked on the touch screen where a stylus could be used to drag
the connecting lines around to do "what ifs".

OK, this description of mine is a bit confusing; but if you are smart enough
to figure out what I'm saying and can develop your own apps (a mystery to
this old guy) you can probably come up with something and make enough to buy
breakfast at the Red Flame for a few days.  Gawd, I miss the Red Flame and
the Salt Flats Cafe. ...............Ed W