Re: NAMGBR Insult / Now TD conversions

To: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Subject: Re: NAMGBR Insult / Now TD conversions
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@BlazeNet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:24:01 -0500
David,

I have a little experience with this. Starting with the front suspension, the
rear a-arm is exactly the same part from TD through MGB, the a-arm bushings
are also the same, though the MGB V8 bushings are a more modern/better design
and will work for all.
The front a-arms and spring pans are different on a B due to the mount for
the sway/anti-roll bar. There is a thicker section welded into the a-arm
where the sway bar mounts. The standard MGB sway bar can be used on the TD
even though the TD is actually about 1 1/2" narrower than the B. The MGB sway
bar links must be shortened from over 8" in length to, as I recall, 3 1/2". I
think that I stuck with the same front springs. You would have to check on
spring rates and lengths to determine if you'd want to change them. The
shocks would probably have to remain as TD ones though I'm sure some
experimenting with valving could be done. Between the shock and the a-arms is
the major difference between the TD/MGA front suspension and the MGB.
Probably either would work, though I'm not sure. If you can find the parts,
it may be worthwhile to try to use either the MGA 1600/MkII or MGB front disc
brake setup. I've never felt really good about the drum brakes on my TD,
either the original TD brakes or the MGA 1500 ones that I have on it now. If
you use standard steel disc wheels you could use the MGA wheels which are 4
bolt compared to the TD 5 bolt. They look very similar and the TD hub caps
will fit on them. MGB wheels are 14" vs. 15" required for the TD, but with
most Bs having wire wheels you could use those hubs and convert to wires.

The rear axle on my TD now is from an MGA 1500 as I stated before. It is
around 1/2" wider than the TD axle where it mounts. I just forced the springs
on my car to take up that 1/4" on each side. It sqeaks a little but there
have been no problems with it for over 20 years. The standard A rear axle
ratio is 4.3 : 1 which works fine for the power that a standard TD engine
produces. The MGA MkII has a 4.1 ratio and the B is 3.90. Both of which would
improve cruising, but the standard engine doesn't have enough power. Since
you have a B engine it would make sense to check on the width of the B axle
vs the TD. To look at an MGA rear axle vs an early B with the banjo type
axle, they look the same but may be different lengths. With the power that
the B engine puts out, I would definitely check out that option, both from
the cruising speed aspect and also to keep from breaking axle shafts.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, I can take some time to research this
and check the shop manuals. All of this has been off the top of my head.

Good luck,
Charlie