Info needed on MG T Nicson Intake Manifold

To: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Info needed on MG T Nicson Intake Manifold
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:21:39 -0800 (PST)
>Does anyone have any information on the Nicson performance intake
>manifold that was available for the MG TD and MG TF back in the mid
>fifties?  Apparently Nicson Engineering, located in Los Angeles
>(according to an ad in my March 1956 "Hot Rod" magazine) made
>performance intake manifolds for a variety of different cars.  I just
>purchased a Nicson intake manifold that is supposed to be for either a
>MG TD or MG TF (though I don't know if it would work with a TF 1500).
>The manifold, which is made of polished aluminum with an MG symbol cast
>in to it, comes with a pair of Holley 1bbl carburetors.  I figured that
>it would be good for Vintage Racing since it is a period performance
>part.

>Thanks for the information.
Kevin Brown
MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com
54 MG TF 1500 RHD,
64 MGB
71 MGB V8
Odessa, MO

Kevin,
I have seen one of these running on an MG TD. The car had been gone over by
a CA rodder in the mid-1950s for what he called "road racing" which I guess
was just the act of racing on the roads above Woodside and Redwood City, up
in Northern California.  The "full kit" included a reground DeLong cam, a
Mallory ignition, home-made headers and a flywheel as light as a pizza
plate. The thing would get revs like an Alfa, drink gas like an Olds and
sounded like a tractor at idle and an aeroplane at speed. In those days,
glasspak mufflers became hollow tubes in less than two weeks.

I would guess that the carbs might pop through the bonnet of a TF.  My
friend Peter Petrov just located a single Holley carb manifold that would
work on a Morris Minor or Austin A30/35 but would also not clear the bonnet
of a Sprite but it has no markings and we have only guessed that it was
from Nicson.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Journalist/Appraiser