Re: Global Wanderings!.

To: "david.tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Global Wanderings!.
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:02:38 -0500
Hi David,
First we need to know what year is your TD and does it have the separate
oil filter or the integral oil filter/pump arrangement for the late TD/TF?

The early TD has the separate oil filter and usually with a modern spin-on
filter the oil flow needs to be from the outside to inside of the filter.
The most recent March Octagon issue has further discussion on filter oil
flow, ref page 39 and 43. I have never required a "restrictor" in the top
banjo bolt as a new rocker shaft and good rocker bushes seem to give
sufficient restriction to flow. Obviously some flow is required to
lubricate the valve tips and pushrod ends as well as the rocker bushes.
I am not familiar with the early Leyland Mini oil filter arrangement so
can't comment on your specific installation. You do need to know which
direction the oil flows through the filter adapter and ensure the filter is
correct for that flow direction. Also, flap valves in the filter allowing
oil to flow in only one direction must be considered.

Oil reaching the top of the valve gear should be almost instantaneous with
engine oil pressure, certainly not take 5 minutes. I would check the oil
feed pipe and banjo bolts feeding the head and ensure a good flow of oil is
being passed through the pipe and banjo bolts. The rocker gear is where the
restriction to flow should occur, not a crimped pipe or severely restricted
banjo bolt. Perhaps some DPO has fitted the rocker shaft upside down and
blocked the oil feed hole? Or used packing shims under the pedestals with
no feed hole?
50 psi running oil pressure is fine, as is 40 psi idle. The fact the
pressure comes up " instantaneously" leads one to believe the oil pressure
gauge take-off is on the block ( not the head as shown in the manual ) and
your problem is down stream from the take-off.
Regards, Bob

> From: david.tinker <david.tinker@virgin.net>
> To: mg-t@autox.team.net
> Subject: Global Wanderings!.
> Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 5:53 AM

> > To get back to what is important, the MG, some years ago I converted my
TD
> > to a screw on oil filter and used the attachments from an early Leyland
> > MINI. I now read in the January edition of the Octagon Car Club
Bulletin