Removing Front Wheel Hub

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing Front Wheel Hub
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:09:21 -0500
I have a 51 MGTD MkII and very little experience in automotive
mechanics. I recently drove 1265 miles (Sarasota, FL to Charleston, SC).
Twice in a short span of time, the right front brakes locked while
stopped for a light. I was able to "break lose" by merely overcoming the
lockup with horse power. This problem did not reoccur for the remaining
600 miles of the trip. The TD was also pulling to the right so I
readjusted the front right brakes. What is likely to be the problem?

Anticipating that the right front brake shoes might have oil on them (as
the left rear did), I am attempting to remove the front brake drum but
need some advice. I have borrowed a bearing puller but it cannot reach
the outer rim of the brake drum ( shoulders on the legs hit the drum and
prevent the claws from reaching the edge). In the workshop manual they
illustrate a special device that bolts onto the wheel lugs. Not having
such a device, how can the brake drum be removed. It seems that I am at
an impasse in my attempt to clean the front brake shoes.

Are there any cautions or preparations that I should know about when
putting the drum with bearings back on the axle (assuming I can get it off)?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Stu Keen
Venice, FL