Re: TD Wiper

To: simbafish@home.com
Subject: Re: TD Wiper
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:41:19 -0400
Stuart,
  Since you have changed the lubricants and replaced the brushes, it
sounds as though the mechanicals are working OK.  If you remove the cover
and try to spin the armature with a finger, that would be a test for
mechanical lack of binding, and I suspect that it would be OK there too.
  The electric wire to the wipers can be a culprit.  The OEM wire was a
larger wire gauge than the modern repro wire is. Should you have the new
wire, it may not be able to carry the current necessary to run the motor.
The little thing will pull down the ammeter noticably when it's running.
You might try jumping a pair of wires directly from battery to the motor
to test again.   I've seen cars that use 16 ga  "lamp wire" for the wiper
power. A piece of grey shrink-wrap is slipped over the wire where it it
exposed between cowling and windscreen.
  It's not unknown for the armatures to fail and to need rewinding.
Someone in your club may know a service center for them. If you don't
score there, I believe that Hal Kramer rewinds armatures. He repairs
clocks, by the way, so if you need timekeeping, call him.
Bob