TD master cylinder

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD master cylinder
From: Francis Precht <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:33:02 -0500
I was re-assembling my master cylinder today after having it re-sleeved
with brass by Apple Hydraulics.  The master cylinder has 2 pressure
compensation holes between the reservoir and the piston cylinder.  Both
of these are clearly visible in the workshop manual on page M4 in Figure
M2.  I noticed that Apple correctly bored the larger hole nearer the
'front' of the master cylinder, and on re-assebly this hole clears the
primary cup lying slightly behind it.  The second smaller hole, however,
was not bored out.  It appears that this smaller hole lies just ahead of
the primary cup.

My question: should I dis-assemble the master cylinder again and bore
out this smaller hole ??  I'm wondering if it is necessary as brake
fluid should flow past the primary cup when the vacuum is formed inside
the cylinder on brake pedal release, as described in the workshop
manual.  But then again, there's gotta be a good reason for the smaller
hole ahead of the primary cup !! ??

All comments welcome.
Bud P.

///