Re: New coolant

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: New coolant
From: "Lani Spahr" <lani_spahr@agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:47:44 -0500
Hi all -

>Anybody every try propylene glycol coolant?  Look at
>
>http://www.evanscooling.com/main1.htm

Here's what a friend of mine had to say....

(quote)
By their own specifications, their coolant absorbs 17% less heat and is 3
times more viscous (thicker).  This means if your cooling system is running
anywhere near capacity, and in hot weather many cars are, then using their
coolant will make the operating temperature much higher.  The coolant won't
boil but the high temperatures will cook rubber hoses and seals and will
cook the engine oil.  The aluminum pistons will be brought close to their
maximum safe operating temperature.  To work properly, you have to design
the whole system with this coolant in mind.  That is why they sell the
replacement water pumps and radiators.  It is fine for competition where you
have to squeeze out every drop of power to win but is unecessary for normal
use.

As far as the toxic nature of Ethylene Glycol, that is true; but Proplyene
Glycol coolant for use with water is available and achieves similar results
to EG and water, but with low toxicity.

For me, I'll stick with the proven Ethylene Glycol from a reliable source
(Prestone), mixed with distilled water, changed every few years, and let
someone else experiment (and ruin their car) with the new stuff.

As far as long term storage is concerned, I believe complete draining,
flushing, and drying is the safe way to go.
(unquote)

cheers,
Lani Spahr 51TD #5550

///