Re: Technical Articles

To: MG-T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Technical Articles
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:18:19 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Bill Loubiere wrote to Chip Old and MG-T List:

> I have been purchasing old Sacred Octagons from the 70's and 80's to read
> the technical articles.
>
> I just wanted to tell you thanks for a great job! I keep finding solutions
> to problems and also problems to look for.  The article on brakes form the
> mid seventies was really good.  They were all well done.

Thanks Bill.  That was pre-PC, so many forests died as I ripped botched
pages from the typewriter, balled them up, and flung them at the nearest
cat, dog, or daughter.  If I'd had a PC back then, maybe I would have kept
at it.

> Would you know where I could find any literature where radial tires were
> first used for MG-T racing in the late 50's?  I found one where they
> were offered for TR3's.

Sorry, I don't know.  Perhaps someone on the list was racing back then and
can provide some insight.

The Michelin X hit the market in 1946, and was the first commercially
available radial tire.  Triumph offered the Michelin X on the TR3, but not
until late in its production (I think) and TR4, but that was about five
years after the end of TF production.  As far as I know, MG never offered
radials on the TD or TF.  That's not to say that some T-Type racers didn't
use radials, but keep in mind that the racing fraternity was not
especially quick to accept them.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E