Re: Old vs New Rear Half Axles / Tire Squealing

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old vs New Rear Half Axles / Tire Squealing
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:28:53 -0500
I assume by "bullet proof" you mean the axles are so strong, that the drive
train can't deliver enough torque to hurt them. This is great as one can
accidentally slip off the clutch pedal and "squeal" the rear tires. This
happens to me occasionally. First gear on the TD is so low that a "very
brief" burst of torque can be delivered by "popping the clutch".

BTW: If you have the "rod" style clutch linkage and your engine mounts are
loosey-goosey, you can get uncontrollable clutch-popping. I had this
situation at one time. Every time I started from a stand still, I either
stalled the engine or squealed the tires!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336