Transmission Tips

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission Tips
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:25:42 -0500
   Just drove my TD 400 miles this weekend including four laps around Road
America. No real problems. Couldn't keep up with the Porsches and Vettes, or
even the restored TF, but it was sure fun.

   Shifting gears is far from smooth and silky, especially first gear. First
has been "grabby" since I got the car last fall. I thought I was getting used
to it, but once in awhile the car will really lurch out of first and shake all
over.

   Other than taking it out and rebuilding it, any tips? I assume it would pay
to take the 30-year-old gear oil out of the box and refill it with new
lubricant. Are there any special blends that work particularly well? Are there
any other things that can be done without removing the drive train? Can new
mounts be installed with the engine and trans in the car? T

   Also, the shop that did my tune-up said the clutch rod could be "boogered
up." I really can't see any damage, but maybe I'm not looking at the right
thing. Once in awhile I'll get in the car and it won't move, but after a little
rocking and shifting, it's fine again. What's this all about?

   Any good free advice will be freely accepted. Thanks to you all for help in
the past. The car is getting better and better.

John Gunnell