RE: Windshield

To: "'Gunnell, John'" <gunnellj@krause.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Windshield
From: Martin Johnson <MJohnson@cfworks.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:05:09 -0700
Hi John
Sounds like the threaded piece of flat strip carbon steel (ref. Moss P/N
408-630 for TD) that is sandwiched between the windshield glass and the
frame may be fubar-ed or something.  You should be able to catch the
threads.  To fix properly, you'll have to disassemble the windshield frame,
or at least that side.  You could remove the chrome cowal bracket and
support the bottom of the windshield with a folded up towel to keep it in
relatively normal position (because it's gonna move around as you work on
it), then remove the chrome side support, then remove upper and lower screws
which secure that side of the windshield frame to the top and bottom parts
of the windshield frame.  You will then have complete access to the
aforementioned piece of threaded strip steel.  that part corrodes over time
as it was not plated or painted, and received the benefit of all the
moisture that space inside the windshield frame could trap.  Come to think
of it, I'll betcha you'll find that the two old screws broke off in that
plate, causing you to think it's solid.  Anyway, that's what I would do.  Be
careful with the new screws, I cracked a new windshield by using a slightly
too-long screw.  Just a word of caution...
Good Luck
Martin Johnson
TC3586
Long Beach, CA