Fuel light tank unit

To: "mg-tabc" <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>, "MG-T LIST"
Subject: Fuel light tank unit
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:28:27 +1100
Gentlemen

I've just opened and cleaned up the tank sender unit for the fuel warning
light.

Inside I found a single strand wire running from the brass spindle of the
moving contact up to the hole where the insulated terminal exits. It seems to
be there to ensure that the moving contact is earthed to the case, rather than
just relying on the circuit through the pivot pin. It's a few years now since
I looked inside one of these switches - is that wire standard, or has someone
added it?

To forestall those who would write to say that the unit is
useless/unnecessary/will always leak/etc, let me say that we drove our first
TC 80,000 miles and we found the warning light really useful. I don't remember
it leaking either. So I want this one to work.

Thankyou all for your assistance.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC
Sydney

( The hot spell seems to have ended, and it's #pouring# outside - I never
thought I'd be glad to hear a forecast promising a week of rain!)