RE: Oil pressure delay after storage, is it normal?

To: "Bud Krueger" <budkrueger@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Oil pressure delay after storage, is it normal?
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:02:21 -0500
Bob D.
I think Bud is right. THe oil drains down after a long sleep and takes a few
seconds to come up. 5 to 10 seconds is normal I think. Might be a bit less
in a TC or early TD with separate vertically positioned oil filter as the
filter cannister can't drain back and remains full. Therefore the oil pump
has only the oil galleries to fill before pressure is read on the gauge.
On a late TD or TF, the oil filter can drain back a bit more due to the
horizontal position of the filter. In this case, a filter with an anti-drain
back flap valve may help. Flap valve are found on modern spin-on oil
filters.
BTW, I sell oil filter adapters for TC/early TD and late TD/TF to allow easy
installation of modern spin-on oil filters. The adapter replaces the
vertical separate filter cannister, uses original oil lines, banjo bolts and
block mounting on the TC/earlyTD. Simply screws onto the rear of the oil
pump on the late TD/TF. Makes changing the filter an easy and inexpensive
operation. Changing the filter is recommended every time you change oil.
Email me if interested.
Regards, Bob Grunau

Bob,

It's not uncommon when the car's sat for awhile.  Some owners, myself
included, turn the engine over with ignition off until there's a reading
on the gauge.  BTW, I took mine out yesterday to celebrate sunshine in
the 40's!

Bud Krueger
52TD