Re: oil pump gasket

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil pump gasket
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:21 -0700, Krislyn Co LLC wrote:

> in rebuilding the motor for my 54 TF I noticed the oil pump had a gasket
> wafer thin (you could almost see through it) between the oil pump body
> and the top part where the pump rotors are and the bolts go through..
> the new engine gasket set DOES NOT conatin this gasket nor does the MG
> engine manual show it in reassembly..  do I need it and where can I get
> it?

No gasket is used between the pump and pump cover.  Theoretically the
mating surfaces are machined accurately enough not to need one.

Since you describe it as "could almost see through it", I wonder if it was
an actual paper gasket or one of the anaerobic flange sealants sold by
Permatex, Loctite and others.  These are applied in a very thin coat and
harden in the absense of air.  I've used them effectively on gasketless
joints that insist on oozing oil.

--
Chip Old                  1948 M.G. TC
Cub Hill, Maryland, US    TC6710  XPAG7430