Re: [Mg-t] Touchy Clutchy

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Touchy Clutchy
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:42:37 -0500
Bill,
    The engine steady adjustment is the easiest of all the things you are
checking. Its purpose is just to steady the engine so it does not rock,
which the engine can do as it is mounted at only two points, both low on
the engine.
     Disconnect the nut at the outer end of the turnbuckle rod.  Shorten
the turnbuckle a bit so there is clearance at the outer end.  Shove the
engine away from you to left side of the car and note where it returns.
Do that again a couple of times, just to be sure that it comes to rest at
the same place.
     Now lengthen the turnbuckle so that it is firm against the chassis
bracket without pushing the engine away from the bracket, pull up its
locknuts,  replace the nut and washer on the outboard side of the
bracket, and job is done.  There will be a little rocking motion of the
engine, but it's just the amount that the rubbers compress.
     If the engine's air cleaner manifold or TF type air cleaners bump
the vertical side of the bonnet, it's a workable cobble to lengthen the
turnbuckle just a couple of turns to push the engine to the left, but one
should not do it unless there is no other way to avoid the contact.
Bob