[Mg-t] Engine internals

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] Engine internals
From: PopeyMike@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:55:47 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: PopeyMike
Removing the oil pan found bottom 2" full of thick gunk and no oil -
probably where most of oil problems were originating.

The oil suction dip tube and screen were removed and found blocked with red
 silicone gasketing material.

1.  All is cleaned up.  But when the screen cup is reinstalled  should the
lip at the top have a rubber o-ring to seal it from the suction dome  and
minimize vibration?

2.  The main journal bearing original  is             52mm
           current  main bearing +.010"  ~         +0.254mm
            _____________________________________
            combined                                            51.746mm

    Current Crank main  dia                                51.72
    Yielding Diametric  clearance                         0.026  mm

Acceptable is 0.020 to 0.075mm according to Horst Schach

here is where the problem starts - the mains show a little minor wear that
can be dressed up with polishing -so should I just polish and install new
same  size +0.010" main bearing or choose to grind and resize for new +0.020"
main  bearings??

3.    The connecting rod bearings similar problem but  more delicate
        Original                                            45  mm
        Current rod bearing  +0.030"  ~         0.762  mm
        Combined                                        44.238  mm
        Current crank rod  dia                        44.14
        Yielding Diametric  clearance            0.098  mm

Acceptable is 0.11 to 0.056mm according to Horst Schach

would you recommend just polishing or installing bigger +0.040 rod  bearings

4.  Has anyone used the Volvo seal solution for the front with  success??

5.  Since I am short on funds and looking for work - I do not want to  do
the rear screw Archimedes seal - but it shows no signs of leaking after
12,000 miles - so I plan to leave it alone unless someone can recommend a cheap

solution that will improve the odds that I will not have leaks.

Thanks everyone that has responded on my other problems.

MIchael Balahutrak
53 TD engine #10525
Houston, TX

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive