Re: [Mg-t] XPAG idle speed, timing

To: richardolindsay@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] XPAG idle speed, timing
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:08:19 GMT
Cc: mg-t@autox.team.net
Full-name: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
--===============0131418248156577050==

----__JWM__J462a9f1e.2313ed19S.5db8faa9M

Hi Rick,  Mine is a Mk II, which started out with 8.6 or 8.1 compression=
 (depending on the source of the information, and its head has been off =
twice, machined flat both times. Compression is probably higher than ori=
ginal, though I do not know what it is.  Cylinder pressures were 155 or =
so last time I checked, several years ago.  It runs just fine on 87 that=
, in CT, "may contain up to 10% alcohol", with the advance at 32 degrees=
 at 3000 rpm.  A happy idle speed is 850-900 rpm, with the fast idle fro=
m the "choke" about 800 when the engine is at 20F or so garage temp. Tha=
t would probably be about 1200 if engine were at operating temp.   The m=
ixture enrichment is used just for the instant of starting. As soon as e=
ngine fires, I back out, close the garage door, get back into the TD and=
 push in the knob. After that, I use the throttle to maintain speed for =
a minute, then drive off.  Bob =