Tire size stuff

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire size stuff
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:35:03 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
My '67 has 14x6 Western Superlites and were most likely on a Z-car
originally judging from the offset.  I am using 185-70 tires and the front
is close but clears.  The rear however, is another basket of snakes.  I
started out with the rear narrowed to 50 1/2 which is a tad wider than wire
width.  Had enough rubbing to just mark the sidewall and as mentioned by
others, put the old lady into the whine mode on spirited cornering.  No
dear, the tire won't blow.  Maybe.

So after laying under the car and much more measuring I now have a 49 1/2
rear that centers the wheels in the tubs.  Now I can use 195-60's with room
to spare.  We did a little K-mart parking lot skid pad test with the new
rear and under VIOLENT cornering no rub.

Moral of the story, buy the wheels before you narrow the rear axle.  And
for a chuckle measure 5 MGBs from the tire to the wheelarch lip in back.
The cars will differ as much as 3/4 inch side to side.  Weird.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
'68 TR250