[no subject]

To: MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>, Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:07:59 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I had a couple of responses to my questions about the T-5
Transmission.   I thought I would pass on the info I came up with.

     "the only way externally to tell a World Class from a standard
T-5 is by looking at
     the cover of the countershaft bearing at the front of the
transmission
     (down and to the left of the input shaft when looking straight on
at
     the front of the transmission).  The World Class countershaft
bearing
     cover will have a flatter surface than the standard T-5 and will
carry
     the designation "Torrington" instead of "Timken." "

This appears to be a good method to identify the World Class model.
In addition if the original stickers are on the transmission you'll
see one that indicates the transmission is to be lubricated with ATF.
Some T-5's in 1988 GM models were World Class models and by 1989 all
were World Class models.

One of the concerns I had was which overdrive ratio did the
transmission have?  I learned something else during this process.  If
the car has a 5.0 V8 then the ratio is likely .63 to 1.  If it has a
5.7 V8 then it is likely a .73 to 1 ratio.  The donor car I was
getting the transmission from had a 5.0 V8 so this transmission should
be the .63 ratio, right?.  This is a general rule but there are
exceptions, so I called the Chevrolet Motor Division of GM
(1-800-222-1020), they were very helpful.  I had the V.I.N. number for
the donor car.  It turns out that is the easiest way to identify what
you have.  A five minute conversation indicated that the 5th gear
ratio of the transmission is .63 to 1 and the transmission is a World
Class model.

Hope this helps.

Larry Hoy; Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"